DSP Astraunatics Project

Create a Simulation for the Astronautics Department of Kingston University based on the "Mission to Neptune Report" produced by a student group in 2013.

Pages

Monday 5 January 2015

Augmented Reality App

Since the team has decided to go with unity to create 3d images, I researched and generated an app that will produce augmented reality in 3d for the android phone.

  1. The first step was to create the code required for the trigger image to initiate the augmented reality features. I used 'vuforia' for this. Primary reason being that its free. The vuforia developer website will generate the code for the trigger image in unity. I created an account and uploaded a trigger image, in this case it was simply one of the logo ideas that we were thinking about for "oceanus simulations".
  2. In order for unity to recognized vuforia, an extension for vuforia compatible with unity was downloaded  and migrated into unity in addition with the code generated for the target image.
  3. I added the 'Image target' asset and 'AR Camera' into the scene and set the 'track-able image handler' setting to the preferred image target script. 
  4. Add a few 3d models for testing and lighting along with some simple animations. I should mention here that the example 1 i created needs more lighting as it looks a little dark. I was only able to notice this after I created the app, so I will have to keep this in mind when i do it the next time. an image from when I was playing around with unity. used some particle effects and rotation animation for the sphere.
  5. the final step is to build it for the android. I had some trouble in this stage as unity required the android sdk libraries. However, for some reason my laptop did not want to install the android sdk. after many trials and reading up on forums I was able to solve and build my example project. One of the major reasons for the problems I was having was administrative access. I decided to work on my laptop as it was easier with the webcam, as I can test out the apps before building it.
  6. here (can be downloaded here) is the built android app. It needs to be installed on the phone and when running point the camera at the target image (can be downloaded here). the downloads are on google drive. I have also uploaded them on dropbox for our team.
  7. next step is to create the AR designed by the team.
  8. also prepare building apps for other platforms.

No comments:

Post a Comment